If you need help with finding a career one of the most convenient and popular options is to post your resume on a job search website. A quick search will show that there are many such websites offering you a variety of careers. However, not all of these websites are actually helpful while some are outright scams. So, you need to be careful while selecting the job search website.
Criteria to look for in a job search website
A legitimate website can be a great help with finding a career. Here are some important things that you should look for in the job search website:
- Verify the legitimacy of the site. This can be done by the following:
- Check out the contact information. Use a search engine to see if it is legitimate. You can also ring up the number given to see whether there is actually any response.
- Look up the review sites to find independent reviews of this job search portal. If only links are related to job postings, the site may not be legitimate.
- You want to be able to access the largest possible variety of jobs that match your skill set. So, instead of using sites that cater to job opportunities hourly, look for a portal with wider and deeper reach.
- Check whether the website allows you to store your resume or update it as needed. It is also an additional advantage if the website allows you to customize your resume for different jobs. The day of one universal resume is past and you should be able to display the diversity of your skills.
You should also be able to delete your resume. Once you do get a job, you do not want your employer to see your resume still out on job search websites as this may send a wrong message.
- The filters provided by the website must suit your needs. You should be able to seek jobs according to your qualifications, expertise, designation as well as geographical location. Without these filters you may get many job offers, most of which are likely to turn out to be irrelevant.
- Some websites allow you the facility to track and store the jobs that you shortlist. This makes your job hunt easier.
- Legitimate job search websites do not ask jobseekers to pay. If any website asks for a registration fee, move on.
- Finally, the website must be easy to use. Every step from uploading your resume, editing it, searching for jobs and setting options for alerts should be easy, fast and efficient so that you can find a job that you love with the greatest possible ease.